Latest developments

In the past few weeks I made some developments on the alternative solutions.

First I made a hardware decoder for timecode signal, which eliminates the analog audio processing in software or firmware. And I also added an external I2S DAC to the system to be able to use and test all 4 channels of audio.  Here is a video of the new hardwarare unit. It is still the MIDI controls the iPad application but the midi signal is made directly from the vinyl audio.

Continue reading

Improved version v0.2

This version handles the vinyl speed correctly while scratching. I made some modifications. I’m using TIM8 input capture while not scratching and to jump into and out of scratch mode (touch on and off events) because it’s more punctual to measure frequency.

And I’m using TIM3 in encoder mode while scratching, because with that I can count the ticks of both the rising and falling edges of both channels of the encoder, without any interrupt or code. It gives me 4 times the resolution than if I counted the input capture interrupts.

And another video with master tempo and synch working properly.

Tascam TT-M1 to MIDI converter

This is the continuation of the hooking up post. I had some experiments with the encoder interface. I set up another timer, to read the encoder interface TIM3 value regulary (each 5 ms). I found out, that the resolution of this method is far from enough. And the latency is 5ms or more.

The counter value fluctuates between 23 and 24 for the 5ms period. Now I only have 2 values between 0 and +8% pitch positions.  It means that my pitch granularity is 4%. I cannot recognize if I move the pitch slider between 0-4%. It is obviously not enough for correct beatmixing, I need 0-4%- 0,1% or 20-80 values for the pitch range. I need to modify my original idea and not using the encoder interface mode.

Continue reading

Hooking up TASCAM TT-M1 to STM32F4 Discovery board

I wrote about my working HID interface in the previous post. Now I can send data to my laptop in a convenient way in a simple HID report because I wrote a Delphi program to send and receive HID reports years ago.
Next step is to wire the Tascam TT-M1 scratch control unit to the board. As STM32F4 series have quadrature encoder interface in some timers, I can easily count the pulses without any line of code in my main loop or without using more interrupts or processor load.

IMG_0921 Continue reading

Scheduling Audio, MIDI and HID

In my previous post I mentioned that my audio interface crashes after a while. I also mentioned that my guess it is because of the non-scheduling my different USB transefers. So I did it.

I used the SOF (Start-of-frame) interrupt as my 1ms timebase.This interrupt has to be enabled in the USB device configuration part, because it’s disabled by default. In other words simply replaced my HAL_GetTick() function which is based on the counter incremented each 1ms in the SysTick interrupt. My similar function is the USB_GetTick() which is based on the counter incremented each 1ms in the USB SOF interrup.

This is the new waveform I have. The start of the HID report transfer is in a fixed time slot. It comes after 718us always. And it completes of course in the end of the frame.

hid_sof_sync

Continue reading

Adding HID interface

Now I have a composite device in my STM32F4 Discovery board. It contains a USB Audio 1.0 interface (speaker) and a MIDI (in&out) interface. I need a convenient way to send the speed, direction from the Tascam unit, and other debug data for the mouse application to my laptop than MIDI. I can write my own Windows program for HID communication easier than one for MIDI. And on the other side, for the future, HID will be a better way of communication with DJ programs. So let’s move on to add HID in and out.

Continue reading